The International Advocacy Training Council - in association with the General Council of the Bar of South Africa - will host a Conference on Legal Reasoning and Written Advocacy.
"Legal Reasoning and Written Advocacy"
Will clear and effective legal reasoning and writing survive the relentless onslaught of social media and the tyranny of the twitterati?
Judges, advocates, attorneys, university teachers and all legal professionals involved in the teaching of advocacy skills, should find the conference very interesting and are invited to attend.
Through presentations and panel discussions, the conference will stimulate debate and explore solutions to the state of legal reasoning and writing in the advocates’ profession, the universitites and the judiciary.
Confirmed Speakers To Date
- The Rt. Hon. The Lord Neuberger of Abbotsbury, Former President the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom – Keynote Speaker
- The Hon. Madam Justice Mary Lim, JCA, Malaysia
- The Hon. Justice Ann Ainslie-Wallace, Australia
- The Hon. Justice Glenn Martin, Supreme Court of Queensland, Australia
- The Hon. Mrs Justice Geraldine Andrews, United Kingdom
- Russell Coleman, S.C., Chairman of the International Advocacy Training Council Ltd and Hong Kong Advocacy Training Council Ltd
- Phil Greenwood, S.C., Australia
- Anesta Weekes, Q.C., England & Wales
- Andrew Chiew, Malaysia
- Steve Fury: founding president of Justice Advocacy Africa
- Brendan Navin Siva, Malaysia
- Andrew Goodman, England & Wales
- Robert Low, Malaysia
- The Hon. Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Mnyamezeli Mlungisi Zondo, Deputy Chief Justice of South Africa
- The Hon. Mr. Justice Malcolm Wallis, Supreme Court of Appeal, Bloemfontein, South Africa
- The Hon. Mr. Justice Dennis Davis, Judge of the High Court of South Africa (Cape Town) – President of the Competition Appeal Court, South Africa
- The Hon. Madam Justice Sharise Erica Weiner, Judge of the High Court of South Africa (Johannesburg)
- The Hon. Mr. Justice Owen Rogers, Judge of the High Court of South Africa (Cape Town)
- The Hon. Mr. Justice Glenn Goosen, Judge of the High Court of South Africa (Eastern Cape)
- The Hon. Mr. Justice David Unterhalter, Judge of the High Court of South Africa (Johannesburg)
- Anna Annandale SC: KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa, National Advocacy Training Convener – GCB of South Africa
- Timothy Bruinders SC: Johannesburg, South Africa, Former National Advocacy Training Convener – GCB of South Africa
- Michelle M Le Roux: Johannesburg, South Africa
- Tembeka Ngcuikaitobi: Johannesburg, South Africa
- Stephan van der Merwe: Lecturer in Practical Legal Training and Legal Skills, Faculty of Law, University of Stellenbosch
- Robyn de Jager: Programme Leader, LLB, Monash Department of Law
- Louis Podbielski: Product Development Manager: Case Law Solutions LexisNexis, Durban, South Africa
Stias, Wallenberg Research Centre, Stellenbosch, Cape Town, South Africa.
10 Marais Road, Stellenbosch, 7600
Registration fee: ZAR 5000.00
The fee includes:
- conference pack on arrival
- access to all conference sessions
- tea break snacks and lunches
- Gala Dinner 2 April 2018.
Download the Conference Brochure (20 March)
Keynote speaker: Lord Neuberger
Included in delegate fee
Date: 2 April 2018
Dress code: Black tie/Traditional wear
Venue: Stias Conference Centre
Non delegates: Should you wish to attend and you are not a delegate you may either do an EFT to the GCB or use the following link to make a card payment of ZAR 600.00 per person:
Click here to pay for the Gala Dinner
Click to download accommodation special rates.
Click to view full details of the speakers
For more information please contact Jacqueline de Gouveia via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or on +27 11 292 6900
World Bar Conference
The World Bar Conference of South Africa is taking place from the 29th March to 31st March 2018. Should you wish to attend this as well, please visit the following link: http://worldbarconferencesa.co.za/